Thursday, July 21, 2005

KY catching up

Remember when you were a kid and the only one that argued a call was you? After the game your parents were mad at you for "showing yourself", and you went home in trouble. Well that isn't the trend these days. The lastest thing is for the parents or the coach to throw a fit or even worse a punch.

I really enjoy teaching kids sports but I won't help out in a regular league and here are a few reason why. 1. Some of the parents. 2. The attitude of some parents and coaches. 3. Some Coaches and 4 The PARENTS and COACHES !

Here are some examples to support my reasons that I found this week.

Last week, a T-ball coach in Pittsburgh was accused of offering one of his players $25 to hit a mentally disabled, 8-year-old teammate in the head and the groin with a baseball so the coach would not have to play him in an important game.

In January, a 47-year-old man in Toronto allegedly reached over a glass partition to choke the hockey coach who benched his 8-year-old son.

A father in Connecticut was charged with assault after he allegedly hit a softball coach in the head and chest with a bat during an argument over his daughter's suspension for attending a prom.

In May, a group of parents in California knocked a girls' high school rugby coach unconscious after he tried to stop a fight between a parent and a referee.

The worst happened in April when a 45-year-old man in Texas shot and critically wounded his son's football coach. It was the result of having his son kicked off the team and told never to come back. The funny thing is the father had been kicked out during the regular season and wasn't able to even go watch his son because of the way he acted.

We all hear those stories and have our own local stories of crazy parents or coaches around but nothing that bad in KY right? WRONG. KY is now caught up with the times.

Just last week, our state added its own twist when Andrew Jones, 37-year-old head of the Fleming County Softball League, was charged with second-degree and fourth-degree assault for allegedly striking the mayor of Ewing in an argument over umpiring at a girls' game July 10.

Its one thing to hit an ump it's another to hit the Mayor of your town but when your Mayor is a Grandmother its takes it to another level. I just wonder how a man can live with himself after he has hit a grandmother over a softball game. The key word in that sentence is GAME!

I pray everyday that I can have the same attitude as my father. When it came time to sign up for something my father would tell me about it and if I wanted too great if I didn't great too. He just wanted me to have fun and not live out the experience that he missed or misses by not being able to play sports. Learning the game, learning to get along with others and having a good time, that is what these leagues are for. Not developing the next Michael Jordan, Derrick Jeter, or Tom Brady.

The funny thing is my son this past week asked me if he could play soccer this season, to which I said yes. So its time to see how I will react. By the way he has never played, doesn't own a ball but I tell ya the kid can kick it a mile, COME ON PUT HIM IN COACH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home